Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Note From Eyal Oren in Kiryat Motzkin:

The note below is from Eyal Oren, Chair of the Israeli Steering Committee in Kiryat Motzkin for our Partnership 2000 Program:

Today we had the most emotional day when the Orlando JCC's Seniors, also known as "The 39ers," were visiting Kiryat Motzkin. I was so touched that I ended up crying, and it is not easy to make an Israeli man cry!

We started off the day visiting a school here in Kiryat Motzkin. There we were greeted by little children waving Israeli flags and the sound of a blowing Shofar..."Welcome to Kiryat Motzkin! Your family in Israel." After that, we all sang Hatikvah together, Americans and Israelis together. It was so amazing for ALL of us!

One woman from Orlando's 39ers group came up to me. She took my hand and said, "I never thought I would feel this way. Thank you for the feeling you just let me experience,” she said. “I have cancer and who knows how much longer I have to live. I never thought I would experience these feelings that I experienced. Today was one of the best days in my life." The 39ers then went and spent part of their day with the seniors of Kiryat Motzkin, their counterparts in Israel. They all sang together, interacting with one other, and sharing stories.

The 39ers visited important projects and programs funded by the Orlando Jewish Federation. Later that afternoon they visited the Kiryat Motzkin Holocaust Center, where they met with Holocaust survivors, hearing stories from the local citizens and staff. In the evening, everyone gathered together sharing dinner and stories of the day. It was an amazing experience for all of us!

Eyal Oren
Chair of the Israeli Steering Committee
Partnership 2000 Program with Kiryat Motzkin & Orlando

No comments: